Saturday, December 18, 2010

Social Darwinism

The old saying goes, 'adapt or die.' This is me adapting.

I've spent the last, oh, 17 years learning music, mostly popular music of some kind or another. Mostly rock in some form or another. But I've dabbled in jazz, classical, and electronica. I even rapped a little bit. It was horrible, but at least I can admit that and move on.  And I've had a lot of fun. I can tell a lot of stories. Stories of success and failure, stories that would make the paint peel, stories of wholehearted dedication and existential angst.

A couple of times, I've pulled a Joaquin Phoenix and said I was going to quit music and be a writer. Looking back, I don't know why. I can do both right? We'll see I guess.

As I write this, I have just successfully completed my first semester of college as a journalism major. Yes, I would like to write non-fiction. Preferably of the travel variety. And my newest musical project seems headed for something interesting. We packed a downtown club to see our rock opera and we've got a west coast tour in the works for the summer.

So where does Darwin come in?

Both of these industries are both being slaughtered and revived by the internet. I don't think anyone knows for sure where they are headed, or how to make any money for that matter, but one thing is for sure, if you want to play the game, get on the internet.

I'm not fighting against the current. I'm not afraid of jumping through a few hoops. I'm not a kid anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, keep them coming! I don't see any posts in 2011

    ReplyDelete